Monday, May 30, 2005

The Conservation of Anxiety

Donald Davidson argues that there are no strict psychological laws; but I have discovered one. It has the defect of applying only to me. Some people – like one of my colleagues – claim to have an inexhaustible fund of anxiety, applying itself greedily to new objects whenever they arise: tenure, house, relationships, health, money. Others – also colleagues – appear to spend long periods anxiety-free. In my case, the level of anxiety is constant, varying only in its focus. When work is going well, I worry about my health. When I am in shape, I worry about work. And so on. I am always anxious about something, but the total quantity has a limit. This allows for strategic self-management: I can reduce anxiety about one thing by deliberately mis-handling some other part of my life. But it has a darker side. When everything seems to be going well, I experience the irrational fear that I will suddenly die.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother also seems to worry without end. Once, my father asked her what she was worrying about and she replied: "The fact that I don't seem to have anything to worry about. Everything is fine, so surely I must have overlooked something important."

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm that way too. humph.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this waxing and waning of anxiety prone behavior what Davidson has in mind when he talks about strict laws pertaining to psychological states?

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home